Packages

Attached to Project: Packages
Opened by Jesús E. - 03/06/2021
Last edited by Jesús E. - 27/09/2021

FS#1561 - [ath9k-htc-firmware]: not work

Description:

Ath9k wifi device not working, possibly bad compilation or issues with gcc

Additional info:
* package version(s)

- gcc-8.4.0-2
- ath9k-htc-firmware-1.4.0-8

* config and/or log files etc.

[    8.302952] usb 1-1: ath9k_htc: Firmware ath9k_htc/htc_9271-1.4.0.fw requested
[    8.303011] usbcore: registered new interface driver ath9k_htc
[    8.303067] usb 1-1: Direct firmware load for ath9k_htc/htc_9271-1.4.0.fw failed with error -2
[    8.303073] usb 1-1: ath9k_htc: Firmware htc_9271.fw requested
[    8.623141] usb 1-1: ath9k_htc: Transferred FW: htc_9271.fw, size: 51008
[    9.683657] ath9k_htc 1-1:1.0: ath9k_htc: Target is unresponsive
[    9.683672] ath9k_htc: Failed to initialize the device

Steps to reproduce:

- Add wifi device with ath9k firmware, for example: TL-WN722N
- pacman -S ath9k-htc-firmware

References:

- https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=208251

Tobias Dausend commented on 27.07.2021 21:38

Is the issue now solved?

winter commented on 31.07.2021 03:43

It might be...

At the very least, the wifi card in my computer works...

I don't know if usb wifi cards work though. I can always test if you want.

Tobias Dausend commented on 02.08.2021 13:00

@winter: Yes, a test with positive result would be good. :)

Jesús E. commented on 06.09.2021 04:03

It still does not work

# tail -F /var/log/dmesg
[ 10.491651] ath9k_htc 1-5:1.0: ath9k_htc: Target is unresponsive
[ 10.491671] ath9k_htc: Failed to initialize the device
[ 10.677447] usb 1-5: ath9k_htc: USB layer deinitialized
Jesús E. commented on 06.09.2021 04:08

We must analyze that it is failing in package-build

Jesús E. commented on 06.09.2021 04:12
# grep -nr "ath9" /var/log/dmesg
Jesús E. commented on 06.09.2021 04:17

oop's missing log file

Tobias Dausend commented on 27.09.2021 23:03

Please include the following patch until this is functional within GNU/linux-libre: https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/patch/20200711043324.8079-1-shiftee@posteo.net/

Jesús E. commented on 27.09.2021 23:11

@Tobias Dausend

Please include the following patch until this is functional within GNU/linux-libre: https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/patch/20200711043324.8079-1-shiftee@posteo.net/

This is already applied in the current Kernel of Hyperbola v0.4

Jesús E. commented on 27.09.2021 23:14
Please include the following patch until this is functional within GNU/linux-libre: https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/patch/20200711043324.8079-1-shiftee@posteo.net/

From my point of view this is not a issue of kernel but compiler gcc-derivates:

- xtensa-unknown-elf-binutils
- xtensa-unknown-elf-gcc

Tobias Dausend commented on 28.09.2021 00:00

Okay, can confirm: The firmware-files from the package linux-libre-firmware help, have tried to get that working with an alternative USB-device I had with a comparable chipset. With the firmware-files copied from into /lib/firmware/ the device is functional directly.

No issue therefore with the kernel as you've said. Therefore a problem on how the firmware-package is created with the gcc-derivates.

Tobias Dausend commented on 28.09.2021 00:01

Forgotten: The files I have tried came from the package of Parabola.

Tobias Dausend commented on 28.09.2021 00:30

Another problem for finding now the problems with the build-infrastructure: Debian has upgraded binutils-package and therefore also the patchset towards 2.37 so 2.34 is not available. Either we remove the concurrent patchset from Debian for rebuilding, do something else or go for a newer version (not the ideal choice for now). For now I'll try first to test if only one package is the cause of problems and therefore xtensa-unkown-elf-binutils.

Tobias Dausend commented on 28.09.2021 00:38

Cofirming success: Building the firmware-package with a changed xtensa-unknown-elf-binutils makes it working for me. The following patch from Qualcomm is needed!

Jesús E. commented on 28.09.2021 02:05
Cofirming success: Building the firmware-package with a changed xtensa-unknown-elf-binutils makes it working for me. The following patch from Qualcomm is needed! —> binutils-qualcomm.patch (725.7 KiB)

Yeah, with that patch this issue is solved. Can Tobias Dausend add that patch?

;-)

Jesús E. commented on 28.09.2021 03:20

Tobias Dausend, I updated the binutils-qualcomm.patch patch so that it will not generate .orig files.

In PKGBUILD of xtensa-unknown-elf-binutils would be like this:

...
# open-ath9k-htc-firmware patch
patch -p1 -i ${srcdir}/binutils-xtensa.patch
patch -p1 -i ${srcdir}/binutils-qualcomm.patch
...
Tobias Dausend commented on 28.09.2021 08:51

Yes, will update that later. But therefore another test as I also need to remove the Debian-patches - version 2.34 of binutils is no longer provided with a concrete patchset. So first I need to be sure there are no side-effects in occurence afterwards when building the xtensa-package and the firmware with it. ;-)

Date User Effort (H:M)

Loading...

Available keyboard shortcuts

Tasklist

Task Details

Task Editing